Expository Preaching Blog #9 – “Bible Translations”

I have mentioned Bible translations in previous blogs but I want to go further into depth in this blog. For me Bible translations is not a hill to die on in debating other people. This is simply my opinion. My personal beliefs, convictions and doctrinal stand are based on the original manuscripts not a translation. 

I know some very strong KJV only people and I know some who will use any translation or paraphrase that is out there. I am not at all a KJV only person. I won’t even preach from the KJV unless I am speaking in a KJV only church, which is rare.

My favorite translation to use is the NJKV. I do believe that the KJV is the most accurate verse by verse translation that we have today but the language has changed over the last 400 years. I believe that the NKJV keeps the translation accuracy but updates the wording from hundreds of years ago. This is why I believe God used the Hebrew and Greek languages for the original manuscripts. They are two languages that change the least over hundreds or thousands of years.

I have also found that the NKJV is better than the KJV when preaching with an interpreter. I learned this the hard way many year ago. The word “supped” from I Corinthians 11 is hard to understand in the English let alone be interpreted into another common language.

I also like the NASB and NIV versions but find them to be a little more untrustworthy in translation accuracy. I like to use them for comparison in the wording of the text but I don’t like some of the verses or paragraphs that are left out that were in the KJV or NKJV. I do believe that the Textus Receptus are the most reliable Greek manuscripts that we have today.

I do not like the ESV translation. That is simply my opinion. I do look at the ASV if I am studying or comparing my beliefs to those of the Roman Catholic Church. It sometimes helps me examine their doctrine in light of their translation.

I do not use paraphrases at all for any reason both privately or publically. Since it is not a scholarly translation I cannot put any trust or validity in what they say.

I do believe that the best practice is to go back and translate from the original languages into your native language wherever and whenever possible.

 

Rev. David Johnson

Former Pastor

First Baptist Church of Austin, MN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expository Preaching Blog #14 – “Pastor Bill Park”

Expository Preaching Blog #39 – “Accuracy – Orphans and Adoption”

Expository Preaching Blog #48 – “Holding Fast the Faithful Word” (BBC & CSU)