Expository Preaching Blog #18 – “Take Your Bible Into the Pulpit!”

In the churches that I have attended in the last 5 years in the Charlotte, NC area I have seen a very distinct trend. Almost every preacher is a manuscript preacher. That is they write out their sermon word for word during the week and basically read it for the congregation on Sunday. They only read the manuscript and there is no impromptu speaking in the sermon. I fundamentally do not have a problem with manuscript preaching. Some do it very well and some do it very poorly. Some need it and cannot preach any other way.

I am an outline preacher. I have usually a one page outline that I preach from. My week of study from the previous week fills my mind, heart and soul during my study. My outline keeps me on track and also helps me time the sermon to be neither to short nor too long.

Here are the two things I do have a problem with. One, I seen many preachers never take their Bible into the pulpit. Secondly some take their Bible into the pulpit but never open it. When we preach, we are to be preaching God’s word not our words. The congregation can see whether or not you take your Bible into the pulpit. They also can tell if you open it.

If you don’t take your Bible into the pulpit OR you don’t open it, how do I know if you are preaching God’s Word or your words? God’s Word is eternal, fully trustworthy and all powerful. Your words are none of those things and are worthless. Your words are a waste. Millions of people have things to say. I don’t listen to 99.9% of them. It is not worth it. Now I as an experienced preacher will recognize if you are actually quoting from the Scriptures. But many in the pews, especially younger Christians or non-Christians will not. The Bible clearly states in Romans 10:14 “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” This is a preacher of God’s Word and the gospel of Jesus Christ not your slick words. The Bible convicts of sin, brings salvation to the lost, changes lives. It’s not you. It’s not your reasoning. It’s not your speech. It’s not your creative and eloquent speech. Salvation is of the Lord not you or me.

Taking your Bible into the pulpit and opening it as you preach shows your respect and reverence for the Word of God. It is saying to your congregation, “Don’t listen to me, but do listen to God.” I heard a whole sermon recently about “Listening to God” where the speaker did not open his Bible once. What a waste of my time. I came to hear from God not from some Tom, Dick or Harry from down the road. Show reverence, trust, and respect for the Bible. Open it, read from it. Don’t tickle their ears. Let your congregation know “Thus says the Lord!”

 

Rev. David Johnson

Former Pastor

First Baptist Church of Austin, MN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expository Preaching Blog #14 – “Pastor Bill Park”

Expository Preaching Blog #39 – “Accuracy – Orphans and Adoption”

Expository Preaching Blog #48 – “Holding Fast the Faithful Word” (BBC & CSU)