Expository Preaching #1 - "Why?"

 Why do I believe so strongly in expository preaching? Because I believe it is the only right and proper way to truly preach the Bible. I do not determine the subject of the sermon. The scripture passage determines the subject and main point of the sermon. The passage verse by verse and thought by thought are the content of the sermon. This is true exposition.

99% or more of the churches in the USA do not preach this way. In the last 11 years since my last pastorate I have not been in a single church of any denomination that preaches this way every single week. A few hit on an expository sermon once in a while. It seems like it is almost by accident. It should be deliberate, planned and continued week after week. 

If we are going to preach the Bible we must preach it the way God gave it to us. It is His Word. It is His Message. If we go into and preach our ideas and thoughts then it is our message not God's. My ideas, my thoughts and my opinions are totally worthless in view of the inspired Word of God. My words do not save any souls. My words do not change any lives. My words to not have any eternal value. It is God's Word (The Bible) that saves souls, changes lives and have eternal value. Not mine.

As you can tell I am passionate about it and long to see pastors and churches truly get back to the Bible and trust the Holy Spirit to use it change people. I have seen it happen first hand and I long to see it again.

FYI I am available for pulpit supply, interim pastoring and full time pastoring if any church wants me. Message me through this blog. Thanks for listening to my heart.

In Bonds of Calvary,

Pastor Dave



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expository Preaching Blog #14 – “Pastor Bill Park”

Expository Preaching Blog #39 – “Accuracy – Orphans and Adoption”

Expository Preaching Blog #48 – “Holding Fast the Faithful Word” (BBC & CSU)