Expository Preaching Blog #8 - "Study Tools"

How do you prepare for expository preaching? It is by expository study. The text always comes first. It has to be in its context. When you are studying a specific verse what does everything around it say? These are the verses before and the verses after. The chapter and verse separations are not inspired. They are pretty accurate but they are not inspired.

Do not go to another book first, go to the Bible text first, always! Read it over and over.

There are some great study books. I start with a couple of different translations. My main preference is the New KJV. I personally believe the KJV is the best translation over all but some words have changed in the English language since 1611 AD. That’s why I like the NKJV best. That is what I preach from. I also like the NASB and the NIV translations. I never use paraphrases in study or in the pulpit. I also like the NKJV when I am doing multi-ethnic ministry and I have a translator in the service.

Another book is a concordance. My preference is the Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance. It lists every use of every word in the Bible. Some words are only used once or twice, some are used a dozen or so times. It will help you see how certain words are used in different places in the Bible. But be careful to always look at that word in its new context!

My next important book is a good lexicon. I never studied Hebrew but I spent several years in Bible College studying Greek. I love the Arndt & Gingrich Greek lexicon. I pair it with a good interlinear Bible so that I make sure I am looking up the right Greek word. The A&G lexicon also gives me the proper translation depending on where and how the word is used. It is so vital to get the correct translation and therefore get the correct interpretation.

Please notice that I have not yet mentioned commentaries. That is because I so rarely use them. I can count on 2 hands the number of times I have used commentaries in sermon preparation. That is because they are simply another man’s opinion. Their opinion holds no weight for me no matter how much I like the author. The only time I use commentaries is when I am really struggling with a passage. I use them as thought provokers but I do not use them as an authority. I have used Richard Lenski for New Testament Greek passages as well as Keil and Delitzsch for Old Testament Hebrew passages. It is interesting that these authors are all German Lutheran scholars. They are a good resource for expository study.

That is it. That is what I use for 99.9% of my sermon preparation. I do not ever use modern preachers, writers, books or magazines. The other thing that I will use once in a while is good history book to understand customs and the culture of the time when that Bible passage what written. Examples are adoption, burial, inns and marriage. Those things are done completely different in Jewish culture than they are in ours! You cannot interpret those things from a modern western point of view. Do the work. Do it right. Do it for God’s glory!

 

Rev. David Johnson

Former Pastor

First Baptist Church of Austin, MN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expository Preaching Blog #14 – “Pastor Bill Park”

Expository Preaching Blog #39 – “Accuracy – Orphans and Adoption”

Expository Preaching Blog #48 – “Holding Fast the Faithful Word” (BBC & CSU)